1st XI into another Grand Final

The 1st's reached another Longmuir Shield grand final after defeating West Bentleigh in the preliminary final on the weekend and will now meet Washington Park in the season-decider at Packer Reserve.

Chasing 246 on Sunday, West put in an admirable chase, but fell short at 7-222.

They began sedately but well with Chris Fidler and Ryan Sweeney getting through the first hour and then starting to tick the runs over nicely.

Fidler was dismissed for 40, caught at mid-wicket off Luke Dallas with the score on 60.

East then applied the screws with Dallas and Pat Singh bowling well in tandem to build the pressure until Sweeney was trapped LBW attempting to sweep Dallas for 20.

Then came the 20-minute period which effectively decided the result as West lost four wickets with the score at 76 to limp into the tea break.

Dallas was centre stage, picking up James Quarmby and Chris Street to excellent catches while Singh was rewarded for his accuracy with the wicket of McLeod.

Liam Polinelli removed Sean Holmes with the last ball before the interval.

After the break Marc Reid and Ben Lydster played sensibly to add 55 before Dallas had Lydster stumped for 19 to grab his fifth scalp.

The run rate required continued to climb but West are fighters and Reid and Stacy Brown kept the score moving before attempting an outrageous final assault to try to steal the win.

They had a fair run at it slamming 91 runs in the last 12 overs but still came up short at 7/222.

Reid finished with a gallant unbeaten 72 and Brown a cavalier, undefeated 49.

Dallas was the key for East on day two with 5/90 off 24 overs.

In perfect conditions on Saturday East Sandy began steadily reaching 23 before Brett Gibb (10) edged Sweeney to keeper Sean Holmes.

But Odin Duesbery and Mark Devereaux were able to take their team through to the tea interval without further loss.

They started slowly before giving the run rate a sharp upwards gradient late in the session, adding 65.

West were already rearranging deckchairs on their titanic after losing opening bowler Stacy Brown to a calf injury after he broke down in his sixth over.

Duesbery (46) was run out shortly upon the resumption after an impressive and disciplined knock.

Then Brad Hodge entered the fray and he was quickly into stride, pasting the Sky-Blues attack in a rapid-fire knock of 53 off 46 balls.

He added 66 with Devereaux before he played a rash shot and lost his stumps to Jason West. West was right in the game at this point, taking a fine catch in the next over off Jack McLeod to send Devereaux packing for 41 and then cleaning up Anton Duddy (2) after he didn’t play a shot to a delivery that nipped back to hit off stump.

McLeod removed Dallas (1) in the next over and West were on a roll but a pugnacious 45 from Guy Martyn and a breezy 23 from Mark Jenkin regained the momentum for the batting team and stretched the innings out to its conclusion.

McLeod (3/54) did a solid job at a time when his team was struggling, West (2/47) had his moments and Marc Reid (2/11) grabbed a couple of late wickets for his team.

Back to Top